Leaders in Action Program
10 months of adventures and outdoor pursuits.
Elevation’s newest offer to youth in the community! This program is a well-rounded experience-based program aimed at giving youth an opportunity to try adventures and outdoor pursuits, and gain valuable volunteer experience with the same consistent group of youth and leaders throughout the year. All of the outdoor sports we offer are included in this program, young outdoor enthusiasts are sure to be satisfied by the variety and depth of experiences offered throughout the year!
The program will start during the final week of August with an overnight trip to provide all participants an opportunity to bond and get to know one another and our leaders. The remainder of the year is broken up into 3 semesters: Aug - Dec, Jan - March, and April - June. We will wrap the year up with a larger overnight trip that is planned and organized by the participants as a way to wrap things up and demonstrate all the skills they have developed. Included in the program is instruction for each sport from certified instructors as well as we cover provide all the required equipment and cover costs like lift tickets and rentals as well as transportation to and from each day’s activity.
Semester One focuses on hiking and rock climbing for physical skills along with trip planning and community engagement. Time will also be spent volunteering and event planning with a focus on raising funds to cover the costs of the year end trip. Participants will enjoy 6 days of hiking, 2 days of outdoor climbing, 6 days of indoor climbing and some snowshoeing throughout this semester.
Semester Two will focus on snowboarding and winter survival as the hard skills. Job shadowing will begin and work on the year end trip will continue. Participants will also be expected to share their snowboard skills they have developed with our Learn to Shred program through volunteering. Participants will enjoy 8 days of learning to snowboard, 1-2 days of ice climbing and winter survival skills, and 2-3 days of snowboarding and volunteering with our Learn to Shred program for some more time on the snow.
Semester Three will focus on rock climbing and mountain biking as well as the end of year trip as hard skills. There will also be some community engagement and volunteering with the final round of job shadowing within the community. Participants will enjoy 2-4 days of hiking, 1-2 more days of outdoor climbing, as well as 8-12 days of mountain biking along with some extra days of climbing through volunteering with our Get a Grip climbing program to help others learn to climb.
- Youth will take part in all Elevation Outdoors’ activities during the year, including Climbing, Hiking, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking, plus additional activities of snowshoeing, outdoor winter survival, trail building.
- Volunteering will also be a part of the program on a regular basis via helping with younger youth in our core programs, helping at fundraisers, aiding other organizations with outdoor trail maintenance.
- Job shadowing will also be a focus for youth so they can explore different industries and see where their career interest may lie.
- The group will learn to take control of their own finances and direction by designing and executing their own fundraiser to fund an end of year camping trip.
Cost /Available Spaces
- The costs is $2,995/seat with up to 10 seats being available on scholarship for youth that meet our eligibility criteria. Scholarships cover 100% of the costs to participate.
- Partial funding may be available for families that do not meet scholarship criteria
- Fundraising opportunities can be used to reduce the financial burden as well
- Payment plan to pay monthly or by semester possible.
- Year round 10 month program - September to June
- Average of 6/7 meetings per month
- 15 - 18 years old
- Current interest in outdoor sports and pursuits
- Desire to gain career and/or experience in outdoor leadership
- Would benefit from positive influences and mentors
- Shows interest in community minded leadership
To register for the Leaders in Action program please download the registration package below or follow the online registration link above to register online.
Scholarship Seat Sponsors
We are looking for individuals and companies that would like to sponsor one or more seats in the program to allow youth from all backgrounds an opportunity to take park in this program.
This Program is made possible with funding from the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
Morningside Rotary Club of Kelowna
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.