Leaders in Action Program
10 months of adventures and outdoor pursuits.
Registration for the Leaders in Action program is still open. We are monitoring the Covid-19 information and we will determine closer to the start date in September what the program will look like. The health and safety of our participants is a top priority at all times. We will continue to evaluate if our programs can be delivered in a manner that is in line with the PHO guidelines as they evolve. We will be in touch with all applicants closer to the start of the program. Thank you for your understanding as we all navigate through these unprecedented times together.
Elevation’s newest offering to youth in the community! This program is a well-rounded experience-based program aimed at giving youth an opportunity to try adventures and outdoor pursuits, and gain valuable volunteer experience with the same consistent group of youth and leaders throughout the year. All of the outdoor sports we offer are included in this program, young outdoor enthusiasts are sure to be satisfied by the variety and depth of experiences offered throughout the year!
The program will start in early September an overnight trip to provide all participants an opportunity to bond and get to know one another and our leaders(This will be evaluated based on the information available at the time if it can be safely delivered). The remainder of the year is broken up into 3 semesters: Sept - Dec, Jan - March, and April - June. We will wrap the year up with a larger overnight trip that is planned and organized by the participants as a way to wrap things up and demonstrate all the skills they have developed. Included in the program is instruction for each sport from certified instructors as well as we cover provide all the required equipment and cover costs like lift tickets and rentals as well as transportation to and from each day’s activity.
Applications for the 2020/21 program are being accepted! Use the REGISTER NOW link or email us at email@example.com.
A quick video of our inaugural overnight trip to start the program
Semester One focuses on hiking and rock climbing for physical skills along with trip planning and community engagement. Time will also be spent volunteering and event planning with a focus on raising funds to cover the costs of the year end trip. Participants will enjoy 6 days of hiking, 2 days of outdoor climbing, 6 days of indoor climbing and some snowshoeing throughout this semester with other activities and learning sessions mixed in to round out the experience.
Semester Two will focus on snowboarding and winter survival as the hard skills. Job shadowing will begin and work on the year end trip will continue. Participants will also be expected to share their snowboard skills they have developed with our Learn to Shred program through volunteering. Participants will enjoy 8 days of learning to snowboard, some winter survival skill development, and 2-3+ days of snowboarding and volunteering with our Learn to Shred program for some more time on the snow. We will also continue to work on the trip planing and fundraising needed for a successful year end trip.
Semester Three will focus on rock climbing and mountain biking as well as the end of year trip as hard skills. There will also be some community engagement and volunteering with the final round of job shadowing within the community. Participants will enjoy 2-4 days of hiking, 1-2 more days of outdoor climbing, as well as 8-12 days of mountain biking along with some extra days of climbing through volunteering with our Get a Grip climbing program to help others learn to climb.
- Youth will take part in all Elevation Outdoors’ activities during the year, including Climbing, Hiking, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking, plus additional activities of snowshoeing, outdoor winter survival, trail building.
- Volunteering will also be a part of the program on a regular basis via helping with younger youth in our core programs, helping at fundraisers, and aiding other organizations with outdoor trail maintenance.
- Job shadowing will also be a focus for youth so they can explore different industries and see where their career interest may lie.
- The group will learn to take control of their own finances and direction by designing and executing their own fundraiser to fund an end of year camping trip.
Cost /Available Spaces - We are only offering 10 spots in this program for 2020/21
- Only 2 paid seats available for 2020/21 at a cost of $2995 per seat.
- 8 seats being available on scholarship for youth that meet our eligibility criteria. Scholarships cover 100% of the costs to participate.
- Partial funding may be available for families that do not meet scholarship criteria
- Fundraising opportunities can be used to reduce the financial burden as well
- Payment plan to pay monthly or by semester possible.
- Year round 10 month program - September to June
- Average of 6-8 meetings per month
- 15 - 18 years old(if the participant is turning 15 early in the program we will consider applications as well)
- Current interest in outdoor sports and pursuits is a benefit but not required
- Desire to gain career and/or experience in outdoor leadership
- Would benefit from positive influences and mentors
- Shows interest in community minded leadership
Check out this quick edit of our innaguaral Leaders in Action program. Since the start of the program this awesome crew has gone camping, mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, snowshoeing and bouncing at the Airhouse. We are all learning from each other, about each other, and about how to become a stronger leader in a wide array of settings.We cannot thank MEC, Canadian Tire Jumpstart, and the TELUS Friendly Future Foundation for helping us create this opportunity in our community!We are taking a break for the holidays and will be right back at it with the Leaders in Action program in the New Year starting off with 4 weeks of snowboarding!If you or someone you know would benefit from taking part in a program like this we are now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 program. Apply online or learn more at http://www.elevationoutdoors.ca/programs/leadership-program/
Posted by Elevation Outdoors on Wednesday, December 18, 2019
To register for the Leaders in Action program please download the registration package below or follow the online registration link above to register online.
Scholarship Seat Sponsors
We are looking for individuals and companies that would like to sponsor one or more seats in the program to allow youth from all backgrounds an opportunity to take park in this program.
This Program is made possible with funding from the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
Morningside Rotary Club of Kelowna
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.